[pacman-dev] use of /usr/local with pacman

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 14:32:05 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Jeff<jeff at kcaccess.com> wrote:

>> And when you build and install any software manually, without using
>> the official package manager, it should be seen as a local
>> modification. So it is good to have the build system use /usr/local by
>> default.
>
> If by build system you mean manual compiling, I agree completely. Going
> one step further, though, the argument could be made that a package
> manager should not even be able to install to the local prefix because
> the package manager belongs to the realm of system packages not local
> packages, but don't mistake this as me asking for such a "feature". :)

This would be a distro-specific check.
namcap might actually do it.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Namcap#Files
#  file-in-non-standard-dir (warning) The following file is in a
non-standard directory as defined by the FHS guidelines. The allowed
directories are: bin/, etc/, usr/bin/, usr/sbin/, usr/lib,
usr/include/, usr/share/, opt/, lib/, sbin/, srv/, var/lib/, var/opt/,
var/spool/, var/lock/, var/state/, var/run/, var/log/.

> BTW, I don't recall which devs added the splitpkg functionality, but I
> LOVE it! Thanks a million!

Allan broke^W did IT :)