[pacman-dev] [RFC] alpmtrigger: triggering events after all packages got installed...

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 05:30:54 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Marc - A. Dahlhaus [ Administration
| Westermann GmbH ] <mad at wol.de> wrote:
> Hello List,
>

> currently i'm working on adding a trigger infrastructure to
> libaplm/pacman to get rid of workload during upgrades or installations
> that runs more than a single time.
>
> Good examples for such jobs would be:
>
> - depmod after module installations
> - mkinitramfs after module installations
> - catalog-updates for fonts or infopages
> etc...
>

> My current plan is to create a helper script called "alpmtrigger"
> wich handles the work of setting the triggers and executing the triggers
> after pacman is done with installation.
>
> How would it work?
> Draft:
>
> A package that adds a trigger to the system installs a trigger script
> that do all the work needed into a "/usr/share/pacman/alpmtrigger" dir.
>
> inside of a packages install-helper we would call
> "alpmtrigger pkgtrigger" to set the trigger "pkgtrigger" active.
> alpmtrigger would do "touch /var/somewhere/alpmtrigger/pkgtrigger" wich
> would create the file if it not exists already.
>
> A hook to execute "alpmtrigger" (without params?) would need to be added
> after the _alpm_run_chroot(root, "/sbin/ldconfig"); call in function
> _alpm_ldconfig inside of lib/libalpm/util.c to actualy scan the contents
> of /var/somewhere/alpmtrigger, and for each filename in it check
> if /usr/share/pacman/alpmtrigger/filename exists and if it is and is
> executable run the trigger. After the trigger is done and retuned
> without error, the file /var/somewhere/alpmtrigger/filename gets
> removed.
>
> Any suggestions, comments or somebody else working on such a thing?

see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Pacman_Hooks

Before implementing anything, I would like to see the maximum of
actions which are currently done in real package scriptlets converted
to the new hook system. So that we are sure we have a good coverage.

Scriptlets are just another case of code duplication which is my big
enemy. Once we are confident enough that the proposed system achieves
that, I think I would be interested and motivated to do the
implementation.