[pacman-dev] [RFC] alpmtrigger: triggering events after all packages got installed...

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 11 08:30:37 EDT 2009

Allan McRae wrote:
> <snip>
>>>
>>> That was an idea put out there because I basically do not want my
>>> info page database updated (the most common install file task in
>>> Arch).  This could probably be achieved without a config file by
>>> removing execute permissions from the hooks script or adding the
>>> script to the noextract in pacman.conf, or in a multitud of ways.
>>> And now that concern has been flagged, the wiki page can be
>>> adjusted.
>>
>> This exact point was raised already back on Fri 23 Jan 2009 by me...
>
> So it was... and here is the relevant part of my response:
> [quote]
>
> ...each hook need to provide the following information:
>
> 1. when to run it (per file or transaction)
> 2. what files trigger it running
> 3. a script that can be sourced and run by the shell.
>
> It is _a lot_ easier if 1 and 2 are separate from 3. [end quote]
>
> So I see what I was trying to do with the config file.  We could
> always have a separate config file per hook or try to cleanly join
> these together.
>
> Obviously this area needs more discussion and prototypes.

Looking at your suggestion at the start if this thread, it seems you
wanted to avoid this config by adding a flag to run the script in the
PKGUILD or install file.  I see the advantage of the config is that I
can forget about dealing with info pages at all and everything will be
handled automatically.

As you may notice, I hate packaging info pages :)

Allan