[pacman-dev] [RFC] alpmtrigger: triggering events after all packages got installed...

Marc - A. Dahlhaus mad at wol.de
Fri Sep 11 15:34:13 EDT 2009

Jeff schrieb:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 05:05:07PM +0200, Marc - A. Dahlhaus [ Administration | Westermann GmbH ] wrote:
>> Add all info pages that got installed or updated in the last 24h:
>>
>> find /usr/share/info -type f -ctime -1 \
>>  -exec install-info '{}' /usr/share/info/dir 2>/dev/null
>
> I have no opinion to offer on the hooks/trigger proposals in general,
> but as for the info page idea, arbitrary times are sloppy in this case
> when what you really want is "newer than /usr/share/info/dir".  That will
> provide the proper list to the infodir command. As for removing info
> pages, that one can be done by either parsing the installed files list
> of a package and pulling out the names of the info pages, or just
> running infodir on the whole /usr/share/info directory after removal of
> said pages. The first is cleaner conceptually, but harder to implement
> correctly without making assumptions.

Good point, i forgot the remove case all together.

The infodir trigger would be:

rm /usr/share/info/dir
find /usr/share/info -type f -iname *.info* \
  -exec install-info '{}' /usr/share/info/dir 2>/dev/null

As there is no distinct add or remove of pages possible if the trigger
runs after the transaction has finished. During transaction addition and
removal of info-pages could have happened. So we would need to build the
index new every time. Not very clean but works fast enough even an an
old P3 750mhz here.

> As for the concept of pulling out redundant code from install
> scriptlets, is anyone suggesting the same thing for PKGBUILDs? For one,
> the compression of man/info pages is something that should either be
> done globally or not done globally. If implemented as a hook, then
> PKGBUILDs won't have to do it manually for those packages that install
> non-compressed files.

Take a look at man makepkg.conf and search for zipman. What makepkg
doesn't do is to extract compressed files in the !zipman case.

Marc