[pacman-dev] Removing deltas from repos - Was: Allow package to display a brief message before sync install

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:05:04 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Marc - A. Dahlhaus [ Administration |
Westermann GmbH ] <mad at wol.de> wrote:

> Actually first i got confused as repo-remove is documented to take a
> pkgname as param to remove the whole package (including deltas) from the
> repo. To use the deltapackage-filename as option to remove only that
> delta doesn't fitted well into that documentation. I'll try to add this
> to the man page and usage outputs during my work on this topic...

Right, a separate patch for improving the doc would be nice.

> I'd like to add a -d|--delta option to repo-add to create the delta
> between the current package and the one to be added.

see attached patch (6 months old :P)

I don't think I ever proposed it. I am not sure why.
Probably because I don't know how repo maintainers want to use delta ...

> I've also thought about adding a -c|--cleanup option to repo-add and
> repo-remove that would delete unused files from the repo directory.
> If booth -d and -c are given than it should remove the "unused"
> deltas from the repo also and remove the corresponding files.
>
> But as i'm unsure if adding on option to do automatic removal of package
> files is really a good idea for upstream in the first place, i think
> i'll do a combined creation, adding and cleanup of "unused" deltas task
> with -d param for repo-add first.

How do you plan do cleanup delta ?

it's pacman who would know the best which deltas it will never use.
I was thinking about refactoring/extending the delta code to expose a
public functions which would return a list of unused delta for a given
repo or something.
Otherwise we need to re-implement / duplicate delta code in pacman.
Or did you have a simpler alternative in mind ?