[pacman-dev] kernel26-firmware and third-party kernels

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 17:58:57 EDT 2009

Hey all

Would it be OK (as in KISS) to shove in a custom kernel's equivalent
firmware into /lib/firmware/$(uname -r)? By looking at the
/lib/udev/firmware.sh script it's one of the default look-up paths. But if I
(and subsequent third-party packagers) start doing this, it will break the
consistency as kernel26's firmware are in that dir. The only resolution here
is that kernel26 uses /lib/firmware/$(uname -r) as well.

I'm pretty sure that the blobs are hardware-dependent and not software, but
from looking at the kernel26 buildscripts so far it appears they are being
bumped for every minor revision update. Why is this being done? If there is
indeed no problem whatsoever and any kernel can use firmware of any version,
then this case can be dismissed :)

Regards