[pacman-dev] Removing deltas from repos - Was: Allow package to display a brief message before sync install

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 21:58:38 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Marc - A. Dahlhaus [ Administration |
Westermann GmbH ] <mad at wol.de> wrote:

> Do we even want to print out the "useless" deltas in the first place?

I guess only if we want to keep this outside of repo-add.
If this cleanup code is inside repo-add, we can indeed juste rewrite
the deltas file.

Anyway, I wrote some C code just for fun. It is on my working branch :
http://code.toofishes.net/cgit/xavier/pacman.git/log/?h=working

The core code I had to add to libalpm is minimal as I expected, just
40 lines. All the rest can be re-used.

But I also had to write a standalone script using this. It only does
simple things but the simplest things in C require a lot of code :)

The benefit is that its much faster (10x), and finds all useless
deltas correctly.

But currently, the way to load a sync db with libalpm really sucks,
because it's not flexible at all.