[pacman-dev] [arch-dev-public] openssl 1.0 rebuild

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 14:36:33 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> I'd just remove it.
>
> Basically the arguement against widespread usage of versioned deps is if you
> put a versioned openssl>=1.0 there and someone does "pacman -Sy mutt", it
> will pull in the new openssl and break many packages on their system.  If
> you do not put it there, it will only break mutt.

Wasn't it in http://honestknave.com/2009/07/18/the-arch-package-management-debacle/
(unfortunately dead) that the guy did the following :
1) pacman -Sy mutt
oh damn mutt is broken because of openssl, let's upgrade openssl
2) pacman -S openssl
boom, we are back in the versioned dep case.

IIRC this was the post that led to this FR :
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15581