[pacman-dev] .so provides/depends patches review

Florian Pritz bluewind at server-speed.net
Wed Apr 14 14:12:14 EDT 2010

On 13.04.2010 20:43, Xyne wrote:
> Would it (make sense|be possible) to generalize this beyond .so files
> so that it can accommodate other uses in the future? The first thing
> that comes to mind is that this might be useful for packages which
> provide modules for interpreted languages as well (e.g. CPAN
> distributions for Perl) but there are almost certainly other valid uses.

Sure that's possible and would make sense, but I don't really know how
to do it exactly. Maybe you could do something with an array that holds
the names of the functions you want to call to clean, but I think the
part with the warnings (where it writes the dependency into .PKGINFO)
would become a big mess if you want to keep them useful.

> As I've understood it, this is really just a way to provide finer
> dependency control and it seems that it should not be limited to
> particular file types. Sorry if this is already the intention but from
> what I've read of the discussion it seems that only compiled (C and
> C++) shared libraries have been considered.

Yes, my patch only works for ELF binaries (C, C++, haskell and maybe
others).

--
Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net