[pacman-dev] Warning to pacman-git users - database format change

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 12:17:49 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 13/12/10 20:06, Allan McRae wrote:

>>> Will you add a patch to pacman 3.5 to do this conversion automatically
>>> if needed ("You are using an old database format. Do you want to run
>>> pacman-db-update to convert to the new format? [Y/n]")? It would
>>> probably save us from lots of headaches.
>>>

>> I assume it will be done automatically in the post_upgrade script.
>
> I have just been pointed out that this will not work so well...   We check
> pacman is not running in the pacman-db-upgrade script, so it can not run in
> post_upgrade.

Hmm. Probably a good thing to have now realized- I don't know how
great of an idea modifying the database while running is anyway, with
hacks like this I've found in the last few days:
http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/tree/lib/libalpm/add.c?h=maint#n498

It would be nice to automate it at the end of the pacman run, but no
hooks yet...any ideas from anyone?