[pacman-dev] parallel compression in makepkg

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Dec 31 09:29:16 EST 2010

Am 31.12.2010 13:59, schrieb Andreas Radke:
> ArchLinux prefers xz compression now. It has a very good compression
> ratio but poor speed due not being threaded for smp usage.
>
> It seems the upstream xz developer lost the intention to implement it
> after the final xz 5.0 release:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lzmautils/forums/forum/708858/topic/4015685

He didn't loose interest, not as far as I can see. This just has to be
done right.

> 3rd alternative: lxz from the forum thread I couldn't find so far and
> should get further testing before hitting production state in a
> distribution.

http://lacos.hu/
Builds fine and works fine as well.

> What's your opinion? Is using p7zip a solution we can add to makepkg
> for now?

I wouldn't add new code to makepkg for every new compression tool we
find. This should be configurable in makepkg.conf, so everyone can use
different compression commands.