[pacman-dev] [arch-dev-public] Warning 2/2: removing kde-unstable; KDE 4.4 in testing

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 04:35:47 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Andrea Scarpino <andrea at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Another reported bug is:
>
> resolving dependencies...
> looking for inter-conflicts...
> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
> :: kde-meta-kdepim: requires kdepim-akonadiconsole
>
> But I do not understand it because kdepim-akonadiconsole is a package added to
> [extra] and kde-meta-kdepim is only an updated package. Two users reported it,
> and they solved that removing kde-meta-kdepim. [1]
>
> [1] http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=705066#p705066

Yep that's the same issue.

Basically we have foo-1 provides bar and the new foo-2 doesn't.
And baz depends on bar.

While resolving dependencies, pacman believes that foo-1 satisfies the
dependency bar of baz and doesn't see that foo-1 will be upgraded to
foo-2 which no longer provides bar. (And since it believes the bar
dependency is already satisfied locally, it doesn't pull the new real
bar package)
When pacman later checks the dependencies, it finds the issue, but
it's too late and it just errors out with :
baz depends on bar

1) foo = qt
bar = phonon
baz = kdelibs