[pacman-dev] $startdir in PKGBUILDs

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 3 20:06:15 EDT 2010

Can anyone think of an actual use of $startdir in PKGBUILDs?

A change I am planning post 3.4 is to completely break $startdir/pkg ==
$pkgdir for single packages.  I want all packaging to occur in
$startdir/pkg/$pkgname as is currently done in split packages as this
will make it a lot easier to split of debug symbols into a separate
package.  We have discouraged the use of $startdir for at least a couple
of releases now, so people should be prepared...  [1]

So I would like to remove mention of $startdir from the PKGBUILD man page.

Can anybody see a reason for keeping it?

Allan

[1] well, even some of the pacman devs still use it in PKGBUILDs...
*cough* libarchive *cough*  ;)