[pacman-dev] -S group regression (was: String freeze for 3.4.0 release)

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 16:53:12 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:

>> > What about the "-S group" regression? Won't we fix it? (That
>> > probably needs some string modification.) /me will be happy, but
>> > users will be angry...
>>
>> I already said I had no vested interest, and no one else here spoke up
>> last time I sent an email about it. So for now we're punting on it and
>> when someone gets mad enough to fix it then we'll do so. :)
>
> OK. See "/me will be happy", and in fact, I am quite busy nowadays
> (because of exams). Xav? :-) But it is not hard to predict that most
> users will say that "pacman 3.4 is worse than 3.3" because of this :-/,
> and this regression will be the first bugreport. And the fix is
> quite straightforward, but everybody is unmotivated or busy.

My reasons are switching from unmotivated to busy.

The biggest complaints I got on this came from wonder (Ionut Biru)
although they were backed up by a few other Arch users on irc.
Last time we discussed (2 weeks ago?), where I tried to argue how
unpractical I found this feature to be, he wasn't much convinced, but
he said he would give it a try and see if he could get used to it (not
using the group interactive feature).

But in any cases this code should change to be more frontend/gui
friendly. I just don't know how urgent that is.
Ideally a frontend developer would provide a patch :)