[pacman-dev] Add a "provided" field in PKGBUILD

Diego Ferigo dieghen89 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 01:08:14 CET 2010

Hi guys!
I have a propose for pacman/makepkg...Now I'm going to explain my idea...

In AUR there are some problems regarding the dependencies
management...Particularly when a package, that from this moment I'll call *
subpackage*, is a part of another package, that I'll call
*main_package*(example gnome-python-desktop and python-wnck).

It would be nice if the maintainer of the subpackage could add a field *
provided* (or another name), that point out to the package that contains
it...

Obliviously the 2 packages go in conflict because they share the same
files..Now the solution is to add a provides field in the main_package, done
by his maintainer...The maintainer of the main_package has to add a new
object in provides array, every new subpackage created.

This new field, provided, get the main_package maintainer off to this
change, and it give the duty to the subpackage maintainer. I opened a bug
some weeks ago, requesting the add of provides= in a extra package, but the
problem remained unsolved because AUR and repos are 2 different things.

This method can solve a lot of dependencies problem that happened (to me) in
this period...And it is more kiss imho....

What do you think?

Diego Ferigo

--
http://darchlinux.netsons.org