[pacman-dev] makepkg: only strip files that are writable

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 01:54:13 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 15/03/10 09:36, Dan McGee wrote:
>>
>> commit a4e3fd18474186ac81acca91adecbb905aee3357
>> Author: Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org>
>> Date:   Tue Jan 26 23:29:31 2010 +1000
>>
>>     makepkg: only strip files that are writable
>>
>>     TODO:
>> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2010-January/010390.html
>>
>>     Signed-off-by: Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org>
>>     Signed-off-by: Dan McGee<dan at archlinux.org>
>
> Hmmm.... that one was not quite finished yet which is why it was not on my
> working branch. (I put it on a wip = "work in progress" branch).
>
> Nevermind!  Apart from a strange commit message, it is still an improvement
> on the pre-patch state.  :P

Looks like I never got to answer your mail.

I wrote a stupid 10 lines bash program that tested every permission,
and it seemed that both r and w were needed for strip.
But IIRC, I did one test inside makepkg (so using fakeroot) and got
different results.
Actually I was probably so confused by the permissions I got in
package built by makepkg that I completely gave up.

Now I remember why I did not answer, I have only new confusions to bring...