[pacman-dev] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] dash 0.5.6-1

Nezmer git at nezmer.info
Fri May 28 07:09:05 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:17:49AM +0200, Xavier Chantry wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> >
> > I would say make sure that core packages are fine with /bin/sh being dash
> > and then move it to testing. This should speed up things. For the install
> > scripts: why can't pacman just call /bin/bash? I mean makpekg and the
> > PKGBUILDS need bash anyway.
> >

> I think that the two pending patches from Jonathan Conder on my branch
> http://code.toofishes.net/cgit/xavier/pacman.git/log/?h=working
> would make this cleaner and easier to do.
> 1) switch from popen to execl : popen implicitely calls /bin/sh, so
> when we had /bin/sh=dash and wants bash, it would call /bin/dash then
> /bin/bash. But execl gives us more control.
> 2) ldconfig is now called directly so if we do the change /bin/sh ->
> /bin/bash, it only affects scriptlet executions.
>
> But I am pretty sure we talked about this before, maybe there was a
> bug report, and some people suggested to make the shell path
> configurable.
> Thinking about it now, I would be fine with just calling /bin/bash
> directly. If we consider pacman project as a whole, it's pretty much
> tied to bash anyway.

+1 from someone who is using pacman in a FreeBSD environment. Where
"/bin/sh" is linked to neither bash nor dash.

bash is used in both makepkg and repo-add. It's not a platform-dependent
terrible dependency. And for recovery purposes, It can optionally be built
statically. The static option is actually supported as a configure flag.