[pacman-dev] some pacman work

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:26:45 CET 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> pactree: all the work I did with Dave Reisner on pactree C rewrite,
>> all ready and done now. depends on depwork for find_satisfier
>
> Cool.  Still not sure about moving it to util instead of contrib.  It does
> not really fit in with vercmp, testdb etc which are distributed by "make
> install".

It was more a technical than a logical separation.
It was easy to add pactree C in src/util next to all the other alpm
based C programs.

1) it helps to look at the existing C standalone progs to start a new one
2) the Makefile / .gitignore is easy to extend

These two arguments probably apply to having scripts in contrib/ directory.

I don't know how to best deal with this technical separation and the
more logical one (utils shipped by make install vs contrib stuff).