[pacman-dev] [RFC] New member selection when installing group

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 22:43:50 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> My general impression of this is that it is really, really good and a great
> improvement over what we have now or had in the past.   Here are relatively
> minor comments:
>
> The "Enter a number" selection prompt is a bit weirdly worded when using
> e.g. "1-10 ^8".  Maybe "Enter selection" instead?

That sounds better.

> If the "selected 1" output is to stay (is it?), it should maybe say
> "selected <pkg>" instead?
>
> Also, using "1-10 ^8" says "selected 8... unselected 8".  If that output is
> to say, I guess that should just say "unselected 8" maybe?

This was just meant to be a debug output for early testing / experimenting.
I wanted to kill it if the idea was accepted.

> Doing a "pacman -S base --needed" processes the --needed after the selection
> dialog which is annoying... is that easily changed?  It does not matter if
> not.

Ah uhm right.
Here is how it works now :
1) alpm_find_grp_pkgs gives to the frontend a list of sync packages,
members of a specified group
2) interactive selection in frontend
3) alpm_add_pkg called on each package, where the --needed check is
done (this means checking for existing local package and comparing
versions)

It's definitely possible to add needed check in the backend in 1) or
in the frontend just before 2).
Not sure where it would fit, I will let others decide that and I can
then implement it if needed (no pun intended).