[pacman-dev] pkgsum - Checksum package files against installed files

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Nov 7 14:54:58 CET 2010

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 15:48:29 +0100, "Andre \"Osku\" Schmidt"
<andre.osku.schmidt at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> once upon a time someone at #archlinux did `make install` and i wanted
> to know if it overwrote any system files (cause it was not /usr/local
> he used). so i hacked this little script to checksum files in package
> against installed files. and today someone even wanted this kind of
> tool at the channel, and lastly allanmademeposthere :P
>
> Usage: pkgsum <packagename>

I like the idea of having some kind of integrity check for installed
packages. Another use case would be checking the file integrity after a
crash (especially if you are not using data journaling which is the
default)

For this to work one would need to check all installed packages and not
only one. I also wonder how much space it would take to include all
md5sums in e.g. the file lists.

Greetings,

Pierre