[pacman-dev] Checking free space before transaction

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 21:43:16 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have implemented some basic disk space checking in pacman.  The code is
>> still a bit rough and there are some TODOs in there (especially related to
>> output).  But the basics are all there, so it seems time to get some
>> comments.
>>

> I only glanced at the code so this might not be relevant.
>
> -Does it work if you have other partitions like /usr, /var , etc... ?
>
> -I like the idea of putting option in pacman.conf. If someone has an
> exotic partitionning scheme that makes pacman unable to calculate the
> actual disk space, then they can disable the disk space checking.

Your glance was much too quick. The whole point of this was to get rid
of the dumbassness of "dur I have magic number size to hit" type
checking. For this, you don't have to map partitions yourself, you
don't do anything- it gets your partition map, figures out where each
file is going to end up, sums up the necessary blocks per partition
gained/lost (not even bytes which could still be wrong), and then
finally decides whether the install can proceed.