[pacman-dev] [RFC] New member selection when installing group

Florian Pritz bluewind at server-speed.net
Wed Oct 20 14:27:52 EDT 2010

On 20.10.2010 20:09, Xavier wrote:
> Florian Pritz wrote:
>> On 19.10.2010 21:25, Xavier Chantry wrote:
>> > But my new provision selection inspired to both Jakob and Dan that we
>> > could have the same for groups, so I went ahead and implemented it
>> > over the weekend.
>>

>> Do it like yaourt (it prompts the user when doing -Syu) and open an
>> editor with one package per line. If a user doesn't want to install a
>> certain package he can just delete or comment(#) the line.
>>
>> I don't know how to handle dependencies here (foo needs bar, but the
>> user removes bar), but I think you could just ask for those with a
>> simple yes/no afterwards.
>>

> I did think some time ago that it should not be too hard to write a pacman
> wrapper handling interactive group install.
> But I did not know yaourt had that feature, that's interesting.
>
> I like 'rebase -i' a lot, never thought of using that for groups. But well, if
> it's already in yaourt, why bother doing the same thing again in pacman ?

Yaourt doesn't have this feature for groups (sadly), but for -Syu. You
can use the editor to select which packages you want to upgrade and with
ones you want to ignore.
I just meant you can do the same thing for groups, but it looks like my
hint was to subtle ;)

--
Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net