[pacman-dev] sodeps: makepkg patches

Florian Pritz bluewind at server-speed.net
Tue Feb 1 09:46:36 EST 2011

On 01.02.2011 03:53, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Florian Pritz
> <bluewind at server-speed.net> wrote:
>> The -d/-dd patches are in master now so I'll start a new thread
>> for the makepkg patches only.
>>
>> I've tested them with readline and they work fine.
>>
>> The final PKGINFO contains entries like these:
>> depend = libc.so=6-64
>> provides = libreadline.so=6-64
>>
>> Git repo is here http://git.server-speed.net/users/flo/pacman/?h=sodeps
>
> So... we still haven't looked at any cross-compatibility with this.
> Things that are tied heavily to specific implementation details have
> bitten us before; see makepkg VCS integration.

I don't know how to that properly. Could someone give me a few hints?

> Here is a non-so case that we need to at least think about how we might handle:
> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/DynamicLibraries/100-Articles/DynamicLibraryDesignGuidelines.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002013-SW23

.dylib is a different format and I have no idea what tools are available
on OS X nor do I really care.

> "so" is nowhere to be found in there, so my first thought on this
> whole thing is to at least name this generically so we can extend it
> now and/or in the future. Can we start calling it
> libdepends/libprovides?

Since they are connected we should probably just call it libdepends.

> I have the feeling this has been hashed/rehashed/blended before, but
> why aren't we just doing something like:
>
>     provides=('myenv')
>     libprovides=('libx.so' 'liby.so')
>
> To me, this seems a lot clearer and alleviates the black magic
> concerns of changing depends/provides arrays on the fly.

Allan said he preferred a single array. I think that was the only reason.

Also using the depends array allows makepkg to check if the needed
libraries are installed.

--
Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net