[pacman-dev] namcap 2.8.1 and namcap 2.99

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 18:56:02 EST 2011

Hello,

I am willing to release a 2.8.1 version of namcap corresponding to the
namcap-2.x branch of the repository. It includes the following
changes:
* revert a dictatorial choice of valid filename characters to include
all reasonable ASCII characters
* fix the emptydir rule that did not work
* the extravars rule was never run (and didn't know options was a
standard variable)
* an even bigger test suite.

The rules with no test cases are : depends, elffiles, kdeprograms,
licensepkg, lotsofdocs, missingbackups, perllocal, rpath,
scrollkeeper, symlink.

In the other branches (python3 in my repo), I have a version of namcap
that runs with Python 3 (the bytes vs. string battle was ended
prematurely). The plans:
* finish the test suite to have at least a test case for each rule
* add basic split package support
* read tarballs in one pass

I'd like to have beta-level intermediate releases (something like
version 2.99) because the changes made to the code are becoming quite
large, and it needs many testers to spot regressions.

--
Rémy.