[pacman-dev] should we show maintainer info in pacman -Qi / -Si ?

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Feb 13 05:42:38 EST 2011

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 11:22:54 +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> with pacman -Qi or pacman -Si we show the person who packaged it, but
> not the maintainer.
> This makes it harder to get in touch with the right person then it should be.
> Often I will start talking to the packager (or assign a ticket to
> him), only to have that person to tell me "hey, i'm just the guy who
> packaged it, you should really talk to $foo"
>
> Shouldn't we put the maintainer also in the pacman output?
>
> Dieter

Would be nice. But the problem is we don't have this information. Afaik
we had a discussion about this a long time ago. At first we would need a
new variable defined within a PKGBUILD. E.g.:
maintainers=('Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at archlinux.org>' 'Pierre Schmitz
<pierre at archlinux.org>')

makepkg would need to put that into the .PKGINFO file and repo-add
needs to put these information into the db files.

I would really like to have this feature, but obviously there were some
concerns; otherwise it would have been implemented. ;-) But I don't
remember anything. Afaik I brought this up when we regularly lost all
maintainer information.

Greetings,

Pierre