[pacman-dev] License for new contributions?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 08:19:24 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 28/02/11 17:52, edmeister46 at hushmail.com wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:55:27 -0400 Xavier Chantry
>> <chantry.xavier at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> like

>>> Out of curiosity, what do these patches accomplish exactly ?
>>
>> Bindings for openssl implemented in the backend (alpm).
>
> For the base64 decoding?

>>> have

>>> inclusion

>>> code.

>>> Why don't you use the same header that all C files in pacman have,
>>> which is "gpl v2 or later" ?
>>
>> You see, "or later" includes v3. And since I want to keep up to
>> date with RMS' licenses, I prefer v3. Because of this, I'd like to
>> know if v3 is acceptable before releasing my work. Some of v2 is
>> sadly susceptible to loopholes.
>
> I believe that Dan has not accepted a patch before when the license was
> changed to GPL3, even though the majority of the file was rewritten by the
> submitter.  I'm not sure what the policy on new files is, but I would not be
> too hopeful...

I am not a fan of fragmented licensing (nor RMS for that matter); thus
I would expect contributions to be under GPLv2 or later as the
existing code is. Like it or not, your contributions are not
standalone or worth much by themselves when not in the bigger context
of the project, and that is currently licensed as GPLv2, and I'd like
it to stay that way. I feel like GPLv3 offers us nothing we currently
need or want.

This will be my last email on this topic to prevent it from descending
into any sort of a license war/discussion/bikeshed.