[pacman-dev] [package signing] repo-add and access to pacman keyring

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 28 23:25:55 EST 2011

On 19/02/11 12:02, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, it seems I'm busy lately, doesn't it? :)
>
> I was implementing the first TODO list for repo-add in (see
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Package_Signing) and
> stuck in a point where I need some opinions on what to do.
>
> repo-add should verify if the signature is valid and if it is from
> someone from a list of valid keys. I think that list should be
> pacman's keyring, because it is the keyring the final user will use to
> verify the signatures, right?
>
> So, repo-add needs read access to pacman's keyring, so the keyring
> would need to be readable for anyone. gpg emits a warning when the
> keyring dir and files have insecure permissions (any permissions for
> group owner and other users). In my opinion, this could be ignored,
> because pacman's keyring doesn't have any private information. Of
> course, writing permissions should be granted only to root, the owner
> of the keyring.
>
> After all, do you agree with my reasoning? Can we make pacman's
> keyring readable for anyone?

The more I think about this, I am beginning to lean towards just leaving
this at the moment.  I think we should wait for some actual usage of the
signing system before we can decide exactly what to do here.   Once a
workflow is figured out for when a distribution starts using this
signing system, we will know when the repo db is being signed (in a
central location, on the developers computer and then uploaded, etc) and
by what key (repo master key, developers key) and then we can see where
improvements can be made.

So lets just skip that TODO item for now.

Allan