[pacman-dev] parallel compression in makepkg

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 12:14:57 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:29:16 +0100
> schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:
>
>> http://lacos.hu/
>> Builds fine and works fine as well.
>>

> yes, it's another option.
>
> [andyrtr at workstation64 libo]$ time bsdtar -cf - * | lxz > LibO.tar.xz
>
> real    1m0.053s
> user    3m28.886s
> sys     0m2.763s
> [andyrtr at workstation64 libo]$ ls -lha LibO.tar.xz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 andyrtr users 82M  1. Jan 18:27 LibO.tar.xz
>

>> I wouldn't add new code to makepkg for every new compression tool we
>> find. This should be configurable in makepkg.conf, so everyone can use
>> different compression commands.
>>

> yes, something like that would be nice.

Be aware this is not near as simple as you might hope. Delta
generation requires we pipeline things together, and also throws some
curveballs to ensure we can properly reproduce packages that have
valid checksums. Your specifiers would also need to allow changing
PKGEXT on the fly for certain packages. See some of the following
recent commits and changes:

http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=38a60f49bdd7335f8e51e3d860653f5722771b96
http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=815557118318779f784e82a39497f46dde32845d
http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=93862bd7cb91129cece07391c00ab9e6f81111d0