[pacman-dev] New Guy Wants to Change Everything

Westley Martínez anikom15 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 01:23:37 EST 2011

Hello I'm Anikom15 and I'm new. You might know me from the Arch Linux
forums but whatever.

I'm interested in helping develop pacman considering the fact I've been
using the program for so long I figure I should give something back, and
maybe get better at C coding, too.

Okay, one question: why does the source code use tabs instead of spaces?
Is there a specific reason as to why? In my experience spaces makes
everything easier because tabs can mess up alignment if the editor isn't
set properly. I know what you're thinking, "These new people they come
in and wanna change everything and then leave". I don't wanna change
anything unnecessarily, I'd just like an explanation. Now just between
you and me I think some other conventions the code is using like return
statements being written like a function call are stupid as well, but
those don't have dire consequences like the tabs can potentially have.

Sorry if I sound a little invasive, I don't collaborate much.