[pacman-dev] New Guy Wants to Change Everything

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 02:20:59 EST 2011

On Sun 16 Jan 2011 22:23 -0800, Westley Martínez wrote:
> Hello I'm Anikom15 and I'm new. You might know me from the Arch Linux
> forums but whatever.
>
> I'm interested in helping develop pacman considering the fact I've been
> using the program for so long I figure I should give something back, and
> maybe get better at C coding, too.
>
> Okay, one question: why does the source code use tabs instead of spaces?
> Is there a specific reason as to why? In my experience spaces makes
> everything easier because tabs can mess up alignment if the editor isn't
> set properly. I know what you're thinking, "These new people they come
> in and wanna change everything and then leave". I don't wanna change
> anything unnecessarily, I'd just like an explanation. Now just between
> you and me I think some other conventions the code is using like return
> statements being written like a function call are stupid as well, but
> those don't have dire consequences like the tabs can potentially have.
>
> Sorry if I sound a little invasive, I don't collaborate much.

Wow. Did you ever introduce yourself in the wrong way?

The best rule to follow is to use the already established coding
standards of the project that you want to contribute to, whether you
like them or not.

The tabs vs. spaces debate is probably one of the least interesting and
least motivating things to bring up on the list. If you really want an
explanation just search the www for the numerous discussions on that
topic.