[pacman-dev] Hooks in pacman

Daniel Mendler mail at daniel-mendler.de
Sun Jan 30 20:07:00 EST 2011

Hi

>> I added simple hooks support to pacman yesterday. Unfortunately I have
>> not seen before that Sascha Kruse is already working on it. My concept
>> is simpler and similar to the scriptlets. You might want to take a look
>> at it even though.
>
> My work up to this point was pretty much useless anyway. So I'll
> abandon my work for now and wait how this evolves.

It wasn't my intentions to stop your efforts here. I just didn't want to
throw away my patches, so I sent them here. Because we both want hooks
we should combine our work :) The problem is that the patches are a bit
different. So at first we should discuss how hooks should look like.

I like the concept with the shell-functions used in the
install-scriptlets, so I used this scheme. Furthermore I think the hooks
should be simple, this means only on a per-package (implemented in my
patch) and per-transaction base. All other cases can be handled on the
script-level (filtering for files, package names, etc). Activating a
patch is as simple as copying a file to /etc/pacman.d/hooks.

The per-transaction hooks are not yet in my patch, but this is easy to
add (just add runhooks calls). The nice thing is that the
per-transaction-hooks can replace the manual ldconfig runs for example.

I am very interested in opinions of the development team!

Daniel