[pacman-dev] Hooks in pacman

Marc - A. Dahlhaus mad at wol.de
Mon Jan 31 05:45:52 EST 2011

Am Montag, den 31.01.2011, 02:07 +0100 schrieb Daniel Mendler:
> Hi

Hello,

> >> I added simple hooks support to pacman yesterday. Unfortunately I have
> >> not seen before that Sascha Kruse is already working on it. My concept
> >> is simpler and similar to the scriptlets. You might want to take a look
> >> at it even though.
> >
> > My work up to this point was pretty much useless anyway. So I'll
> > abandon my work for now and wait how this evolves.
>
> It wasn't my intentions to stop your efforts here. I just didn't want to
> throw away my patches, so I sent them here. Because we both want hooks
> we should combine our work :) The problem is that the patches are a bit
> different. So at first we should discuss how hooks should look like.
>
> I like the concept with the shell-functions used in the
> install-scriptlets, so I used this scheme. Furthermore I think the hooks
> should be simple, this means only on a per-package (implemented in my
> patch) and per-transaction base. All other cases can be handled on the
> script-level (filtering for files, package names, etc). Activating a
> patch is as simple as copying a file to /etc/pacman.d/hooks.

Did it mostly about the same way:

I added a /usr/share/pacman/hook.d dir and installed hook scripts there.

I added some helper functions to a /usr/share/pacman/hook.sh and sourced
that file to the environment of the install scriptlets. I think i'll
change this to simple "run-hook scriptname" and "trans-hook scriptname"
bash scripts, because the including is not needed...

I also added a /var/lib/packman/hook dir and touched empty files in
there, that have the same name as the hook script to run for transaction
hooks and a call to "/usr/share/pacman/hook.sh transaction" was added
to /lib/libalpm/util.c after the callout to ldconfig which does a simple
walk over the touched empty files in the /var/lib/packman/hook dir which
fires up the corresponding hook and removes the empty file after that.

It's based on pacman 3.3 and i have a forward port to 3.4 already on my
agenda, if someone cares i can share the patches after that.

IIRC there was a solution to run hooks on the basis of installed files
(names or pathes) wanted / proposed last time we discussed triggers /
hooks for pacman here. I'll try to dig up the thread in the archive...

> The per-transaction hooks are not yet in my patch, but this is easy to
> add (just add runhooks calls). The nice thing is that the
> per-transaction-hooks can replace the manual ldconfig runs for example.
>
> I am very interested in opinions of the development team!
>
> Daniel

Marc