[pacman-dev] SyncFirst and dependencies

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Fri Mar 18 07:55:10 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm not really sure if this actually is a bug or intended behaviour but
upgrading pacman man my freshly installed system with [testing] enabled
just broke pacman:

$ pacman
pacman: error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

After some investigation, I figured out that "liblzma.so" is part of
xz-utils which was renamed to "xz" sometime ago. When doing the first
full system upgrade, pacman asked me to upgrade itself, first. As
"SyncFirst" packages seem to be pulled in without dependency resolution,
I ended up in having pacman 3.5.0, but an old xz-utils, resulting in
some broken pacman depending on some shared library of a package that
hasn't been upgraded yet.

Is that intended? Unfortunately, I'm in a rush and I don't have any time
to analyze this in detail right now...