[pacman-dev] change to option handling for --debug and -v

Ray Kohler ataraxia937 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 12:10:58 EDT 2011

I noticed a change in the way 3.5 processes some of its command-line
flags: It used to be that --debug and -v were handled immediately,
such that their initial output appeared before pacman complained of a
usage error. Now, it errors out immediately.

This may seem like an unimportant case, but it actually breaks pkgfile
from pkgtools, which runs both "pacman -v" and "pacman --debug"
without any further arguments (so it can parse the output). As I
haven't seen any bug report, any update to pkgfile from Daenyth, or
any other comment, I thought I'd ask if this was intentional, and
whether it is pacman, or pkgfile, that ought to change.

I found it actually easy to work around, by modifying pkgfile to use a
-Q main operation in both of these cases.

If I haven't made myself clear, try doing just "pacman -v" or "pacman
--debug" on both 3.4.x and 3.5.0.