[pacman-dev] pacman-key imports and key trust levels

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sat Mar 26 00:21:27 EDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:52:28PM -0400, Ray Kohler wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Ray Kohler <ataraxia937 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > While I'm talking about signing stuff - I noticed an open question on
> > what to do with the downloaded DB if sig verification fails. I suggest
> > it be deleted, and the sig be deleted also. These are generally small
> > files, and it feels really wrong to keep a file "live" on my disk
> > which has been declared untrustworthy.
>
> After a little more thought, probably it would be better to treat it
> like a bad package download, and ask the user if it should be deleted
> or not. The sig file is deleted before each download attempt anyway,
> so it can probably just stay there.

I've got some patchwork on my working branch that addresses this. The
code in lib/sync.c that downloads the signature is moved to lib/dload.c
and the same function downloads both the file follow by the associated sig.

The current behavior is:
* file download fails: delete the file
* file download is aborted (SIGINT): keep the file
* sig download is aborted: keep the file, delete the sig
* sig download fails: delete the file _and_ the sig

This is fairly paranoid behavior, but its in the best interest of the
user. We need to make sure that the file and the sig both come from the
same source. Of course, to that end, I'm not sure we can support
resuming transfers at all. If a file download succeeds (or is aborted)
and/or the sig is aborted, we can't guarantee that the next time that sync
is requested, that we're pulling from the same mirror. Do we go
extra-paranoid and not even give the user the option to save the
untrusted (maybe partial) file?

dave