[pacman-dev] Python 3 bindings for libalpm

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:19:07 EDT 2011

On 2011/3/29 Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 18:23, Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello people,
>>
>> I have used the code started by Imanol Celaya to start my own version of
>> Python bindings for libalpm.
>
> Nice! I look forward to this. I think that it could help simplify pkgfile a bit.

I'm not sure about that. Actually I think we miss some sort of
map/reduce/fold functionality on sync databases: these are
intrinsically sequential in their access, and we have no way to treat
very large databases (files databases for Archlinux are >100Mb in
uncompressed size).

Such a map/reduce function would help making one shot queries on the
database without storing it in memory. Unfortunately, our database
format where package information is possibly split in multiple parts
makes it harder to implement.

Rémy.