[pacman-dev] Tested pacman 4.0.0rc2-1 - the results

Daniel Nilsson danielandre90 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 22:00:33 EDT 2011

Hi.
I've tested pacman 4.0.0rc2-1 on a fresh arch netinstall in virtualbox to test the new signature checking.
I followed the instructions on this page (the rc2 announcement):
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2011-September/021632.html
First I did a full system upgrade with:
# pacman -Syyu
then I installed pacman rc2 with:
# pacman -U pacman-4.0.0rc2-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
install finished without errors.
Then I did:
# pacman-key --init
which yielded the following:
"gpg: /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb createdgpg: no ultimately trusted keys foundgpg: Generating pacman keychain master key...
Not enough random bytes available. Please do some other work to givethe OS a chance to collect more entropy! (Need 284 more bytes)"
I waited for a while but the command never finished.
I tried to reboot, ran "pacman-key --init" once again and got the same message as above but with "(Need 282 more bytes)" instead.Waited for a while to see if it would finish but there was no progress.
I hope this feedback will help pacman development. Please let me know if I should provide more info.
(I've not tested the x86-64 version yet).