[pacman-dev] Feature request: Show exact matches first

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 15:45:00 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Markus Jochim <ich at markusjochim.de> wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I'd like to request a feature. When I search for some package, let's say
> openconnect:
>
> $ pacman -Ss openconnect (or -Qs)
>
> it takes quite a while until I get any results on my netbook (Atom N450
> cpu). Maybe this could be sped up by showing exact matches right away. I've
> had this situation quite some times now and it can be a real pain in the ass
> to wait for 10 seconds (this may vary of course) when I simply want to know
> whether I have a particular package installed.

What is the *problem* you have here? Printing exact results first
won't make it faster, so this is not a solution to the problem you
originally stated- " it takes quite a while until I get any results on
my netbook".

-Ss should not be slow these days; the second and later runs take no
more than 0.8 seconds on my Celeron M 900 Mhz machine; the first run
likely takes no more than 2 seconds.

-Qs could still be slow, but without some actual numbers, I don't even
know what ballpark we're in here. `time pacman -Qs wontfindme` output
would be nice here.

Either use a closed ^regex$ as Karol stated if you want exact matches,
or give us some timings of the runs of each command so we can see
whats up and fix your problem as stated.