[pacman-dev] Feature request: Show exact matches first

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Wed Oct 19 23:23:48 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:44:18AM +0800, lolilolicon wrote:
> I noticed a slight problem here- PKGBUILD(5) states the pkgrel variable is
> "not allowed to contain hyphens".
> So I realize possibly this, as well as my fix for bacman, is not exactly
> correct.  I haven't checked the pacman code though, can you confirm?
>
> Actually all of my local packages conform to the common practice of making
> pkgrel an integer, but I know a package in AUR, namely fortune-mod-tbbt,
> currently at 0.2-3.1, and presumably pacman doesn't complain about it.

Yep, you're correct. We seem to honor the same rules for pkgrel that we
do for pkgver, and there's currently a fair number of these "oddities"
in the repos (74 in total), a segment of them shown by:

 $ expac -Ss '%n\t%v' | awk '$2 ~/.*-[[:digit:]]+\..*/'

I don't really see any reason we shouldn't explicitly disallow this --
vercmp will do just fine, and the pkgrel is essentially Arch's "local"
version for the package.

Makes me wonder if anything I've written recently needs to account for
this...