[pacman-dev] pacman -Qs first-run performance

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:17:47 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
<denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
>> It's really kind of weird that the web search takes longer than the
>> local search, intuition dictates it should be the other way around.
>
> It is not a web search, though. -Ss searches in /var/lib/pacman/sync
> and -Qs searches in /var/lib/pacman/local.
Yes, this is definitely not a web search, I'm not sure where that idea
came from? Is our documentation unclear?

> Both are limited by the
> same I/O bus. Theoretically, you'll have less packages installed than
> not installed, so the size of /var/lib/pacman/local should be smaller
> than /var/lib/pacman/sync. Could you compare the sizes of those two
> directories?
This won't really be indicative of anything- the sync databases are
both single-file and compressed, meaning there is no 4K filesystem
block rounding per file and text compresses well, among other things.
More useful numbers would be a lot of the commands I dropped in my
last email.