[pacman-dev] Pacman 4.0.0rc2

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 22:23:20 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
> <denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Please report any issues you may find with this package, as it is
>>> getting very close to being an actual releasable version. These are
>>> debug builds with symbols, so getting stack traces and helpful logging
>>> should be relatively straight forward if necessary.
>>
>> I'm using it in a daily basis and it is very good! I just have one
>> issue with pacman-key.
>>
>> I'm using --lsign-key to sign keys locally, so gpg trusts them for
>> validating signatures. But pacman-key is confirming the process
>> without asking me. It just feeds 'y's to gpg, so it signs the keys
>> without I having the chance of doing manual validation of
>> fingerprints. I think pacman-key should just let gpg handle the
>> process, showing information about the key and asking if I agree with
>> that. For example, if one uses --edit-key to sign keys, a manual
>> confirmation is needed to get a key signed.
>>
>> Do you agree? I can send a patch, if that's the case.
> If you want this level of control, why wouldn't you just use
> `pacman-key --edit-key`?

Indeed, I could. And i was, until I saw the option to sign directly.
But I think it is important for the user to have an opportunity to
validate the key that will be signed. It is an important operation and
shouldn't be made in a hurry. That's why gpg itself requires the user
to confirm before signing.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?