[pacman-dev] Checking whether a package was signed

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 21 16:33:33 EST 2012

On 22/01/12 07:06, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 2:48 PM, kachelaqa <kachelaqa at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No. However, -Si shows the presence of a signature and the various
>>> checksums (MD5, SHA256) in the database.
>>

>> Okay, thanks.
>>
>> Can I ask why this is? I would have expected there to be a least a log
>> message somewhere.
> It is a debug level message if one cares to look there. Obviously this
> isn't all that helpful for the general end user though.
>
>> ISTM that many users might want to know which installed packages on their
>> systems have verified signatures, and which ones not. Would they be
>> misguided in seeking that information?
> Not misguided, but not something we currently track or anything. I
> don't think we'd be against tracking this in some sort of
> %VERIFICATION% field or something in the database; this could store
> something like "md5", "sha256", "pgp", "none", etc. But it isn't
> something we are likely to sit down and code; patches definitely
> welcome.

I'd agree this would be something of interest to have in pacman, but not
something that will be on our high priority list to implement.

If this is something the OP wants to patch, great!  If not, it would be
useful to file a feature request so it does not get lost and someone
else might see and fix.

Allan