[pacman-dev] compiling pacman and python wrapper

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 10:33:07 EST 2012

I would like to create a python wrapper to access to pacman features,
and so I started to take a look about how it works..

The first thing that I noted is that the INSTALL instructions are a bit
confusing.
Because it says:

Briefly, the shell commands `./configure; make; make install' should
configure, build, and install this package.  The following
instructions are generic. Run `./configure --help` for specific
options.

But actually there is no "configure" until autoconf is run, but that is
explained only later.
So maybe just inverting the order might be fine, first talking about
autoconf and configure.ac and after talking about configure && make.

Then I was actually trying to compile it myself but I get on configure:

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: cannot find input file: `lib/libalpm/Makefile.in'

(from the git repository).

And about my original idea, is anyone interested?
 From what I've understood I think I might use SWIG using the file alpm.h
as header and export all the symbols in a nice Python wrapper, does it
make sense?