[pacman-dev] [aur-general] makepkg/yaourt issues

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 24 22:08:45 EST 2012

On 25/01/12 09:45, masutu wrote:
> (i) zipman option in "/etc/makepkg.conf"
>
> if zipman is enabled in "/etc/makepkg.conf", makepkg gives errors like
>
> [...]
> ==> Tidying install...
>   -> Purging unwanted files...
>   -> Compressing man and info pages...
> ==> ERROR: An unknown error has occurred. Exiting...
> [...]
>
> when running as root (yaourt/makepkg). Surprisingly man pages do get
> gzipped and work correctly, so no real problem, just wondering. When
> running makepkg as normal user, this error message doesn't occur. Similar
> issue is discussed in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1046860.

I can replicate this issue only when running makepkg as root...

So why does this line fail when running as root but not as a user:

IFS=$'\n' read -rd '' -a hardlinks < \
	<(find "${MAN_DIRS[@]}" \! -name "$file" -samefile "$manpage"
2>/dev/null) || true

It is the find line that is causing this issue due to non-existent
directories in MAN_DIRS.  We used to have a "|| true" after the actual
find command to stop that but it got removed when switching to using "read".

Allan