[pacman-dev] The great VCS packages overhaul of 2015

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 13 07:33:47 EDT 2012

On 13/03/12 21:23, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Florian Pritz <bluewind at xinu.at> wrote:
>> On 13.03.2012 12:05, Allan McRae wrote:
>>> I do understand the branch name is useless once you have a tag/commit
>>> id.  That is why later in the email I said it only really serves as
>>> documentation.
>>
>> Use comments for that.
>
> So just how do you propose using a comment to describe origin/maint in
> the pacman repository to build my pacman-maint-git package? I don't
> follow this logic one bit...you clearly need to use a branch name, not
> some arbitrary sha1 that never moves forward with new commits...

I think context is needed here...

I said the branch name is only really useful as documentation _if_ we
are building for a specified commit.

The three cases I see as needing covered are:

1) build from master HEAD
2) build from a branch HEAD
3) build from a given commit/tag

What we need to find is the simplest way of allowing these  (and other
reasonable suggestion that arises...).

Allan