[pacman-dev] Tar backend for local db

Klaus-J. Wolf yanestra at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 01:25:53 EDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Well...  I have a cunning plan...  How about we do both!
>

> Have the local database in a tarball but also extracted.  All reading is
> done from the tarball, so -Q operations would be fast due to not require
> reading from lots of small files.

If you use a separate database for faster access anyway, why not use a real
fast format like sqlite or such alike? It could be a fragile format since
the db would be regenerated after each access.

I personally see not much gain in this, it'd be a few milliseconds you save
on the cost of making a simple task unnecessary complex (I am follower of
the KISS principle :-).