[pacman-dev] pacman-4.2 plans?

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 21:40:46 EDT 2013

Hi

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> The 4.2 roadmap is empty!
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=DeveloperWiki:Pacman_Roadmap
>
> I thought it would be good to discuss what people are planning.  So far
> things I know are being or will be worked on:
>
> - Remove of support for PKGBUILDs with only a build() function
> - Removal of directory symlink support
>

> Other things that have starts of patchsets available:
>
> - Parallel operations  (I think I will take this...)
Are you talking about paralleling CPU extensive operations like
integrity checking or you mean parallel in broad sense? Things I keep
in mind are:
  - download package index (list) with multiple threads
  - download packages in multiple threads
  - install packages in parallel
  - parallelize package download and installation. pacman does not
need to wait all package downloads, does it?  Download is a network
bound task and installation is disk bound so doing these things in the
same time should reduce total installation time.