[pacman-dev] Bug in libalpm: sizeof(off_t)

Jeremy Heiner scalaprotractor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 09:24:25 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I am still looking for something cleaner than
> the proposed #define/#undef approach which feels a bit hacky

Here is a third (well, 4th, since "do nothing" is always on the table)
option which lies between "just document" and "macro shenanigans"...
Following the lead of 'alpm_capabilities', add:

/** with documentation of the issue */
size_t alpm_sizeof_off_t(void);

It's not automatic like the macro approach, so it is one more thing
the app writer has to at least consider. But it makes the needed
information available (unlike the "just document" approach, where all
you can do is run the app to see if it SEGVs).

I'd be happy to submit a patch implementing this approach if it passes muster.
Jeremy