[pacman-dev] So many HOOK puns could go here!

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Fri Jul 19 11:08:41 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:26:15PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 19/07/13 22:13, Martti Kühne wrote:
> > Will there be a way to search for hooks/list
> > them and analyze collisions as well as essentially the same things
> > with different whitespace?
>
> Short answer, no.  You will be able to list hooks using "ls" on the
> relevant directory.
>
> I consider two hooks that do the same thing as being poor distribution
> packaging and is not an area for pacman to police.
>
> Allan

+1 to this idea. The owner of the binary run in the hook should be the
owner of the hook, and this shouldn't cause any overlap.

Arch specific examples:

- core/mkinitcpio will ship a hook to build initramfs images after
  kernels are touched
- extra/vim will ship with a hook to run vimdoc after plugin
  install/removal
- fontconfig, xorg-mkfontscale, and xorg-mkfontdir will ship with hooks
  to run the appropriate binaries post-font install/removal...

I'm curious if you can think of a situation where this wouldn't work....

Granted, with the /lib + /etc hierarchy we're plotting to offer, there
is a chance of overlap, but that's an admin misconfiguration, not a
pacman issue and not a packaging issue.