[pacman-dev] [RFC] Move pacman configuration to /usr/lib/pacman

Daniel Wallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Thu Mar 21 03:04:24 EDT 2013

After watching Allan's talk at SINFO, I remembered one big thing, when
he mentioned certain projects moving away of shipping configuration
files and preinstalling them directly to /etc and instead install the
defaults to /usr/ and overriding them in a similar fashion to how
systemd does it.

So I asked about this in #archlinux-pacman and this bug report was
pointed out to me [1].

Here are 2 ideas, tell me what you think.

1)
	Move everything to /usr/lib/pacman/
			/usr/lib/pacman/gnupg/
			/usr/lib/pacman/hooks/ (for later)
			/usr/lib/pacman/repos.d

	I am not sure how to order repos with this way, possibly with a priority
	directive or with just a ##-testing or whatever like modular
	directories. Or possibly use something like Before=community in
	community-testing so that it is checked before community... etc

	Leave pacman.conf and makepkg.conf in /etc but move them to
	/etc/pacman/ and remove repos from pacman.conf . Basically making it
	similar to how systemd's config files are setup

2)
	Move everything to /usr/lib/pacman , and make EVERYTHING possible to
	be split out.

	/usr/lib/pacman
		conf1.conf
		options stuff

		and config2.conf
		more options stuff

		community.repo
	this would depend on .
	Also, using the Before=community whenever a [repo] is defined

3) Some middle ground.

In the end, I like seeing up with repo stuff looking like this
whether you choose to put them in seperate files or not, making it so
that repos can be organized besides just straight down the file.

[Repo]
Name=core
Before=extra community

SigLevel=PackageRequired